Need help with a medical or admin request? Contact us online.


Complaints Procedure

The Doctors and staff at the Queenswood Practice are committed to providing high quality healthcare and services to patients. We are always interested in your views and suggestions. We would like to hear what you have to say whether it is good or bad – you can contact us using any of the methods below.

Interpreting Service

We can arrange for a meeting with the Practice Manager and an Interpreter for any patient whose first language is not English and needs help with their complaint.


We value the opinions of all our patients, therefore we welcome any suggestions you may have. Please feel free to let us know your suggestions by writing to Rachel Gunaseelan (Practice Manager) or (Sanchez Rayat). Please make it clear that your letter is a suggestion.


We operate a complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints. This practice complaints procedure meets the national criteria. It is best to tell a member of staff as soon as possible after a difficulty arises and then we can try and sort out those difficulties for you.

In the first instance please contact a Team Leader. They may be able to resolve your issue for you. In instances where they are unable to help, the Team Leader will explain the procedure to you, and make sure that your complaint is dealt with promptly. Formal complaints can be made in writing by sending a letter to the practice via post or using our online complaints form. Any verbal expression of dissatisfaction which cannot be resolved within 72 hours will be handled under the complaints regulations and a written record of the concerns drawn up by the practice and shared with the complainant. If your complaint is related to a clinician (a GP, nurse, pharmacist or any other patient facing role), this will be managed in conjunction with Rachel Gunaseelan, the Practice Manager. Any other complaints in relation to the day-to-day running of the practice should be addressed to Sanchez Rayat.

You need to make a complaint within 12 months of the incident you want to complain about, or within 12 months of when you discover that a problem has occurred.

What we cannot deal with

Complaints we cannot deal with

  • A complaint made by or to any NHS organisation or private or independent provider or responsible body.
  • A complaint made by an employee about any matter relating to their employment.
  • A complaint, the subject matter of which has previously been investigated under these or previous NHS Regulations.
  • A complaint which is made orally and resolved to the complainant’s satisfaction no later than the next working day.
  • A complaint arising out of an NHS body’s alleged failure to comply with a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
  •  A complaint which relates to any scheme established under Section 10 (superannuation of persons engaged in health services) or Section 24 (compensation for loss of office) of the Superannuation Act 1972 or to the administration of those schemes.

How we will deal with your complaint

Where you have not spoken directly with the Practice Manager or Operations Manager, the team will contact you as quickly as possible after your first contact, and usually within 3 working days to acknowledge the complaint.

The Practice Manager or Operations Manager will:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong.
  • Invite you to discuss the problem with those involved but only if you would like this.
  • Make sure you are given an apology where it is appropriate.
  • Identify what the practice can do to stop the same thing re-occurring.

Where you have a written complaint, the Practice Manager or Operations Manager will investigate the complaint and formally reply to you within 40 days. This time frame is to allow time for a thorough investigation of the matters raised. If we are unable to get a reply out within this time, we will update you.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

All medical records and information is protected by the Data Protection Act 2018. If you are acting for someone else, we need to be sure that you have the authority to do so. We will need a letter signed by the patient, or some other proof if they are not capable of doing this, before we can discuss their details with you, even if you are a very close relative.

The exception to this is young people and minors under the age of 16 where the parent or legal guardian is acting for them.

If you feel you do not want to contact the surgery directly, then you can contact the North Central London Intergrated Care Board (NCL ICB) Complaints team:

Note from 1 July 2023 NHS England stopped receiving complaints about GP services in Haringey.

Phone: 020 3198 9743

Email: [email protected] Put ‘For the attention of the Complaints Team’ in the subject line.

Write to: North Central London Integrated Care Board, Complaints Team, Laycock PDC, Laycock Street, N1 1TH

If you are making a complaint please state: ‘For the attention of the complaints team’ in the subject line.

Take it Further

Complain to the Ombudsman

If, after receiving our final decision, you remain dissatisfied you may take your complaint to the Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman is independent of the NHS and free to use. It can help resolve your complaint, and tell the NHS how to put things right if it has got them wrong.

The Ombudsman only has legal powers to investigate certain complaints. You must have received a final response from the Practice before the Ombudsman can look at your complaint and it will generally not look into your complaint if it happened more than 12 months ago, unless there are exceptional circumstances.


Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman
Tower 30
London SW1P 4QP

Phone: 0345 015 4033

E: email the Ombudsman 

However, before considering taking this step, we hope you would let us know what aspect of the complaint has not been dealt with satisfactorily and provide an opportunity for us to consider whether there is anything further that could be done locally to resolve matters.

Other organisations that can help you make a complaint about health services

Complaints Advocacy Service

POhWER is a charity that provides information, advocacy and independent advice across England.

They offer free direct and local support via Professionals and Volunteers. POhWER reaches individuals struggling with particular challenges in their lives, and help make their voices be heard. POhWER can support and empower you to express your views and concerns and access information and services where needed.

You can contact POhWER on 0300 456 2370 or visit


All complaints will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Where the investigation of the complaint requires consideration of the patient’s medical records, we will inform the patient or person acting on his/her behalf if the investigation will involve disclosure of information contained in those records to a person other than the Practice or an employee of the Practice.

We keep a record of all complaints and copies of all correspondence relating to complaints, but such records will be kept separate from patients’ medical records.

Statistics and reporting

The Practice must submit to the local primary care organisation periodically/at agreed intervals details of the number of complaints received and actioned.

Give feedback or make a complaint

You can complain to a member of staff at the NHS service you went to, such as a GP surgery or hospital, or you can complain to the organisation in charge.